The talks will be held from January to June 2022 on the last Tuesday of each month from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Zoom.
The Detroit Writing Room and Wayne State University Press have teamed up to offer a 2022 Virtual Book Club where members can meet the authors of the books they read. At each event, they will enjoy a virtual meeting with the author, a discussion about the book, a reading and questions and answers. They will also receive promo codes for special book discounts and can win copies of each book.
The talks will be held from January to June 2022 on the last Tuesday of each month from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Zoom. Members will also receive a recap video.
Authors featured include:
• January 25 – Harvey Ovshinsky, Scratching the Surface: Adventures in Storytelling
• February 22 – Jean Alicia Elster, How’s it going
• March 29 – Emita Hill, Northern Harvest: Twenty Michigan Women in Food and Agriculture
• April 26 – Peter Markus, When our fathers come back to us like birds, and Cindy Hunter Morgan, Distant company
• May 31 – Frances Kai-Hwa Wang, You can’t resist me when my hair is in braids
• June 28 – WS Penn, Raising Bean: Essays on Laughter and Life
When the pandemic began, The Detroit Writing Room moved to host virtual writing workshops, coaching sessions and more. The virtual book club started in 2021 with top authors and public figures including former Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer, Desiree Cooper, Rochelle Riley and others. Readers from Detroit and across the country joined in the experience.
Detroit Writing Room Founder and CEO Stephanie Steinberg said she was excited to partner with Wayne State University Press to continue to elevate local authors and books through the 2022 Book Club.
“The Detroit Writing Room Book Club offers readers around the world a unique opportunity to connect with and get to know Michigan’s top writers on a personal level through meet-ups and question-and-answer sessions,” said Steinberg. “The experience also brought a lot of joy during the pandemic, as members can safely attend events from the comfort of their living room.”
Membership in a book club costs $ 60. Sign up and learn more about each author at www.detroitwritingroom.com/2022-book-club.